People love giving advice to each other. Moms especially love it. I mean it is usually with good intent but sometimes it is without thought as to how the other mom can perceive it. I know I’ve been on both ends. I’ve been the person to give advice or make comments when it is not welcome and I’ve also be the receiver. My hope is that with this episode you know what you should never say to another mom.
- When are you due?
- Oh my gosh your belly is HUGE!
- You know how this happens right?
- You’re SO swollen! You look so different. Your face is so full.
- You look tired
- You look stressed.
- I love when a person with no kids asks why we don’t have girls nights any more. Or, says I’ve changed since becoming a mom.
- You need to let your kid cry it out
- I’m so busy
- Your kid is still in your room at night?
- Are you going to feed your kid that.
- You’re still breastfeeding.
- Your kids still uses a bottle/pacifier?
- Stop holding your kids so much, you need to let them stumble a little bit.
- You stay home, your house should be clean and dinner should be cooked.
- I could NEVER be a stay at home mom.
- When are you going to have another baby?
- Cute boy - When it is a girl or vice versa.
- Enjoy every moment because this will pass so quickly.
THINGS TO SAY TO A MOM:
- You’re doing a great job!
- That is an amazing way to parent!
- Your kids are adorable and so well behaved!
- How can i help you? Can I make you dinner? Or do your laundry? Or watch your kids while you nap? Can I pour you a glass of wine?
If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all” -everyone’s Mom
Sometimes you have to be kind to others, not because they’re nice, but because you are.
Mother - One person who does the work of twenty. For free.