As we head into Spring of this year I've got a plan. I want to "slow" time down. My babies are growing so fast and at the end of each day I ask myself, where has the time gone? I know, I know. You can't actually make time go slower but I believe there are some key ways to make the time you have more fulfilled and efficient.
1. Embrace the mundane - Sometimes daily tasks become less than desirable and totally repetitious. When this occurs, try to switch things up a bit and embrace the little things. Small switches can help keep your brain sharp and raise happiness levels. For example, take a different way home from work today. Roll down the window and enjoy the small bit of calm before you get home to the kiddos.
2. Be present - I used to kid my husband on the fact that he is great at single tasking. The reality is he is present. As Mamas we feel the need to multi-task in every facet of our lives. While we may not be able to single task all the time when we have kids, try to carve out a few scenarios in your day where you can be fully present in what is at hand. For example, lock the door and take a shower without anyone else around. Try to think only about the shower and not about the 500 items on your to do list. Or, make a rule that at 7pm your cell phone stays plugged in on the kitchen counter for the rest of the night. You'll find the overwhelm dissipates and you are able to gain your center again.
3. Spend Less - Amazon is the best/worst thing that is out there. Oh, and so is Target. I find myself wasting a lot of time (and money) by browsing the site or store. Make it a goal to not get on a shopping site for an entire week and see how much time is added to your schedule.
4. Play More - Kids grow so fast. Time goes so fast. How often do we just sit and play? Kids don't need our attention all day. If you can commit to giving them 15 minutes of your undivided attention, which means no cell phones, no distractions, you will notice their attitude completely changes for the better and you'll feel more fulfilled come days end.
5. Brain Dump/Journal - Every morning I carve out 10 minutes to do a brain dump. I put all of my thoughts on paper. They don't have to make complete sense as you are the only one looking at them. But, it allows you to see all of your to do list and items in your mind on paper. Simply getting them on paper will let you see what needs to be prioritized and help with time management.
6. Engage in Hygge - Pronounced "hoo-guh" - this Danish term means a quality of coziness and comfortable and a feeling of contentment or well-being,” joining with loved ones in a relaxed and intimate atmosphere. I was reading the New Yorker and Louisa Thomsen Brits, a British-Danish writer, casts hygge as a state of mindfulness: how to make essential and mundane tasks dignified, joyful, and beautiful, how to live a life connected with loved ones. She explains that many households “affirm the ideas of simplicity, cheerfulness, reciprocity, community, and belonging.” So, think about cozy blankets, a fire, hot chocolate, and small comfy rooms filled with your family and friends.
7. Go back to the traditional wrist watch -My goal this spring is to let go of the phone and put my watch back on to know what time of day it is. I want our family to be present and engaged and it is nearly impossible to connect with an iPad, phone or TV in front of us. That is why we have made it a goal to bring the fancy watch back! My husband has always loved watches.
Our 8 year anniversary is this March and I decided to order a JORD watch to add to his collection. Have you checked out their gorgeous wood watches? It is the perfect gift for the special person in your life. The watches are beautifully crafted and stunning to the eye! My husband is super stylish and often gives me fashion advice. When he got this watch he was super impressed. I ordered the Dover Koa & Black Series JORD Watch because of it's gorgeous wood grain color. It goes with almost anything in the closet from casual to dress up. The Koa series is a species native to Hawaii. So, while we are stuck in the cold winter in Iowa, we can be dreaming of the hardwoods in the tropical islands of Hawaii!
There were so many options to choose from on the website. I was nervous to pick for him! But, after looking at the entire website, I realized there was no way I could choose wrong because every watch was a good option! Not only was the watch gorgeous and streamlined, the process of working with JORD from start to finish was pretty incredible. They let you size your watch prior to arriving which is helpful when you are ordering online! Once the order shipped, I received a tracking notification via e-mail. Once the parcel arrived, I was blown away by the packaging. It came in a beautiful box and came with a treatment to put on the wood from time to time.
I know the girls love their Dad! I think he is pretty swell too. Time spent with him is priceless. We may not be able to slow time down, but we can make better efforts to engage and be more present in each day, with our JORD watch of course!
One lucky reader will win $100 toward a watch of their own, by clicking and entering the link below! Even if you are't randomly selected to win, you will receive a $25 gift code just for entering, once the contest is over!
The contest ends on March 12, 2017 at 11:59PM! So, enter today!